The 'Cretemanor', Albert Dock, Preston, Lancashire
Due to a shortage of steel during the first world war, several experiments were made in the construction of ships made from iron and concrete. In 1914, a company called Hughes and Stirling leased land from Preston Corporation for this purpose. The 'Cretemanor' was launched into the River Ribble in 1919. Only one other concrete ship was launched by its makers; the Cretemoor. When the war ended the scheme was abandoned and the yard fell into disuse. Cretemanor was transferred to the London board of trade and then on to Crete shipping Co(UK). She was sold to Spain in 1927 and sunk in harbour construction.