The De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, East Sussex

The De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, East Sussex
Photograph taken 01 September 2002 © Mr Clive Read LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 292006

The pavilion was commissioned by the 9th Earl De La Warr in 1935. It was designed by architects Erich Mendelssohn and Serge Chermayeff. The De La Warr Pavilion was the UK‘s first public building built in the Modernist style. It was pioneering in structure as it was in spirit. The purpose of this steel and concrete pavilion was to provide cultural events and leisure for the people of Bexhill and nearby places. It was hoped this would then improve the economy of the town and the surrounding area. The building was renovated and re-opened in 2005

Location

East Sussex Bexhill

Period

1930s (1930 - 1938)

Tags

leisure culture seaside architecture 1930s (1930 - 1938)