The Debtors' Prison, Castle Precinct, York

The Debtors' Prison, Castle Precinct, York
Photograph taken 22 August 2006 © Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive ref: 462992

This building was originally the County Gaol and Debtors' Prison. It was built as the County Gaol in 1701-05, possibly by William Wakefield. It was then altered and extended between 1824 and 1835. The building was converted into a museum in c1950 and restored in 1966.

Location

York York

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

jail prison crime punishment Stuart (1603 - 1713)