The gatehouse bastion, Walmer Castle, Deal, Kent
Walmer Castle was anartillery castle. It was built in 1539 by Henry VIII as part of his chain of coastal defences in response to the threat of invasion from Catholic forces. The castle was built along with Sandown and Deal Castles to protect the good landing grounds and strategic anchorage between the Goodwin Sands and the coast, known as the Downs. In 1648, during the Civil War, the castle was captured by Royalists and held for a number of weeks. In c1730 the castle was enlarged and converted into the official residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. Important alterations were carried out in 1874 and during the Second World War a pill box was built there. Here the gatehouse bastion is displaying the royal standard (flag) of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, who was Warden of the Cinque Ports until her death in 2002. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).