The Gatehouse, St Bartholomew's Hospital, City of London, Greater London
St Bartholomew's Hospital was founded in 1123 as a hospital for the poor, but soon after became a priory. In 1381, Wat Tyler was brought to the hospital after receiving his wound from the Lord Mayor of London. He was followed by the King's men, dragged out and beheaded on the spot. The Priory was dissolved in 1539 but the hospital was refounded by Henry VIII in 1546. The Gatehouse dates from 1702 and was originally designed by Edward Strong Jnr in a Baroque style. There is a statue of Henry VIII immediately above the archway. Above this are 2 figures symbolising Lameness and Disease. A later hospital was built on the site between 1730-68 to designs by James Gibbs. New buildings were added right up to the 20th century. St Bart's Hospital remains London's oldest hospital.