The Green, Thornborough, Buckinghamshire
The village green and bridge. The village stocks are to the left. A statute of 1351 had made it law for every township to provide and maintain a set of stocks. They were used to punish people who were guilty of petty (less serious) crimes. They varied in design. Here they would have sat on a bench with their legs in the holes for a set amount of time. Often other villagers made fun of them or threw things like rotten fruit at them. The photograph was taken for the Victoria County History project.