The Harbour, Torquay, Torbay
Torquay began to develop in the early 19th century, when a new harbour was built. Around 1833 the town started to attract visitors as a winter resort because of its fresh air and mild climate. By the end of the century, Torquay had became a favourite resort for the upper classes. In 1870, Lawrence Palk (1st Baron Haldon) built another new harbour for the town which made it popular with yacht owners. The harbour was also used for importing coal and wool from Australia.