The Isle of Wight Hospital, Parkhurst Road, Newport, Isle of Wight

This building was originally Newport House of Industry. It was an incorporated workhouse, which was built between 1770-1. It was "to serve as an Hospital for the Reception of such aged, sick, or infirm Persons, and young Children, as are not able to work". Those who were able, had to work and older girls were trained to be domestic servants. Following the Poor Law Act of 1834, it became the Isle of Wight Union Workhouse. In 1930, it became a Public Assistance Institution known as Forest House. It then became part of St Mary's Hospital (formerly called the Isle of Wight Hospital).


Isle of Wight Newport


Georgian (1714 - 1836)


workhouse institution hospital poor charity Georgian (1714 - 1836)