The Judges' Lodgings, Church Street, Lancaster, Lancashire
This building was originally a Town House. It was built in c1625 for Thomas Covell. It incorporates structural timbers re-used from an earlier timber framed building. Thomas Covell (1561-1639) was 6 times mayor of Lancaster and for 48 years Keeper of Lancaster Castle. As such he was responsible for keeping and executing the ten 'Pendle Witches' in 1612. The house was subsequently occupied by the Brockholes, Cole, and Butler families. It was used as the Judges' Lodgings at the time of the Assizes between 1828 and 1975. It was then taken over by the Lancashire County Museums Service.