The King's Head Inn, Borough High Street, Southwark, London

The King's Head Inn, Borough High Street, Southwark, London
Photograph taken 1885 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: bb61/01089

Borough was the terminal of most coaches to London before the widening of streets in 1830 to allow easier access across London Bridge. Many coaching inns were located here, although few dated back further than 1676 when a great fire destroyed much of the High Street. Number 50 is the only half-timbered house still remaining in the High Street today.

Location

Greater London Southwark

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

street scene transport horse coach work men boy inn warehouse Victorian (1837 - 1901)