The Maison Dieu, Water Lane, Ospringe, Kent

The Maison Dieu, Water Lane, Ospringe, Kent
Photograph taken 1941 © Historic England Archive ref: OP13134

This building is the main surviving building of the medieval Maison Dieu, founded in 1230, which was similar to a small monastery. It acted as a 'hospital' for the overnight lodging of pilgrims travelling to Canterbury. It is a building with a 13th century base and early 16th century timber-framed first floor which is jettied. It is thought to have originally been a priest's house. It was at one time a shop and is now used as a small Museum. It is in the care of English Heritage and managed by the Faversham Society. (2012)

Location