The Nave, Whitby Abbey, Whitby, North Yorkshire
Reconstruction drawing of the church nave in 1500. Whitby Abbey is a Medieval abbey built on the site of previous Early Medieval religious communites. It was originally founded as priory for both monks and nuns in 657. It was destroyed by the Danes in c867. The Abbey was re-founded as a Benedictine Priory by Reinfrid in 1077, but lapsed. It was re-founded as a Benedictine Abbey by 1109. The choir and presbytery were built in the 13th century, the nave in the 14th/15th century. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and passed to the Cholmley family. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).