The Old Toll House, Ashopton, Derbyshire

The Old Toll House, Ashopton, Derbyshire
Photograph taken Late 19th/Early 20th century © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: BB92/02662

Isolated and often distinctive buildings like this stand on many road junctions in England, and are a reminder of a method of income for the upkeep of roads. The first tollhouses, or turnpikes, were built in the mid-17th century and raised money by charging traffic to pass.

Location

Derbyshire Ashopton

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

georgian toll house road rural Victorian (1837 - 1901)