The Palace, Hatfield Park, Old Hatfield, Hertfordshire
This building was originally the Palace of the Bishops of Ely, built by Bishop John Morton in about 1480. Henry VIII used the palace extensively before finally formally acquiring it by exchange in 1538. Some works were undertaken, but it seems likely that no major alterations were needed. In 1549 it was granted to the then princess Elizabeth (the future Queen) and it became her main residence from 1555 until the death of Queen Mary in 1558. Then it was given to Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, in exchange for Theobalds Palace in 1607. He partly demolished it to get building materials for his new Hatfield House. From 1628 until the 20th century it was used as the stables to Hatfield House.