The Parish Library, Halton, Halton

The Parish Library, Halton, Halton
Photograph taken 07 September 2002 © Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive ref: 55977

This former parish library was built in c1730. It was commissioned by Sir John Chesshyre. He was born near Halton, then moved to London to become a lawyer. He became a respected and wealthy lawyer. This allowed him to pay for the library and 400 books. It is now used as a Committee Room for a church hall.

Location

Halton Halton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

library education philanthropy Georgian (1714 - 1836)