The Pier, Bognor Regis, Sussex

Built privately at a cost of £5000, Bognor Pier first opened on the 4 May 1865. A pavilion and landing stage were later added to allow paddle steamers carrying day-trippers to dock. During WW2 the Pier was renamed HMS Patricia and used as a Royal Navy Observation Station. The severe storms of 1964 caused the collapse of the pavilion, and its future remains uncertain.


West Sussex Bognor Regis


2000s (2000 - 2009)


aerial view seaside victorian pier damage conservation 2000s (2000 - 2009) ww2 wwii world war two second