The Pier, Hugh Town, St Marys, Isles of Scilly
The first pier was begun by Francis Godolphin soon after 1601. It was for the new harbour, St. Mary's Port. It was associated with the fortification of the Hugh begun by Godolphin, this also included Star Castle and the Garrison walls. The pier was then rebuilt in 1740 and 1748. A new pier extending north to Rat Island was built in 1835-8 for Augustus Smith, Lord Proprietor of the Islands. This was then lengthened in 1889 for the developing flower trade.