The Priory, High Street, Ware, Hertfordshire

The name Priory is incorrect, it was originally a Friary. The building includes the remains of a Franciscan house (friary). It was given to the Friars Minor of Ware by Thomas, Lord Wake of Liddell in 1338. As Ware was on the historic Ermine Street many travellers and mendicant (begging) friars came there seeking lodgings. The Duke of York, father of Edward IV and Richard III lodged in the Friary after the Battle of St Albans in 1455. The Friary was closed in 1538 as part of the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1544 the Friary was sold to Robert Byrche, and converted to a private house. During the Commonwealth, the building was leased to Sir Richard Fanshawe, Secretary of War to the Prince of Wales (later Charles II). In 1685, the house was sold to Robert Hadsley of Great Munden, in whose family it remained until 1868. In 1913, the building was acquired by Mrs Elizabeth Anne Croft, of Fanhams Hall outside Ware. During the First World War The Priory was used as a convalescent hospital. In 1920, Mrs Croft leased the building and grounds to Ware Urban District Council for 999 years at 3 shillings (15p) per annum.


Hertfordshire Ware


Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)


friary religion faith franciscan dissolution monastery charity hospital medieval (1066 - 1484) world war one (1914 - 1919) world war one first ww1 wwi