The Promenade Pier, Ryde, Isle of Wight

The Promenade Pier, Ryde, Isle of Wight
Photograph taken 20 June 2005 © Miss Claire Pearce. Source Historic England Archive ref: 417474

The pier was originally built of wood in 1813. It was rebuilt and extended in 1824 and 1833. The present pier, which is owned by British Rail, has a pedestrian and vehicle deck, a disused tramway line and a railway track. It was at Ryde Pier that the Empress Eugenie landed from Sir John Burgoyne's yacht "The Gazelle" after her flight from Paris in 1870. She was the last Empress consort of the French from 1853 to 1871 as the wife of Napoleon III, Emperor of France.

Location

Isle of Wight Ryde

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

pier seaside transport rail sea Georgian (1714 - 1836)