The Queen's Public House, Hornsey, Greater London
The former Queens Hotel was built in 1899-1901 and is one of London's grandest pubs from this date. It was developed by John Cathles Hill. He was a builder and developer from Highgate and was responsible for building much of Crouch End. It is part of a development called Broadway Parade in Tottenham Lane. The interior survives largely intact and many of the fittings of the pub were manufactured in his workshops. A special feature is the delicate floral Art Nouveau stained glass in the arched windows on the outside of the building and on screens inside. The glass was supplied by Cakebread Robey. The Queens Opera House stood nearby and was of a similar date. It was destroyed by bombing during WW2.