The Square, Cartmel, Cumbria

The cross and fishstones in The Square, with a view of the Priory Gatehouse beyond. The 18th century market cross or obelisk may be on the site of an earlier cross. The Fishstones are a table constructed of limestone slabs used for selling fish. The priory of St Mary the Virgin at Cartmel was founded in 1188 for Augustinian canons. The priory was suppressed in 1536. All the buildings have gone except for the gatehouse. It has had many uses; a courthouse, a school, a lockup, artists studio, craft shop, and local museum. It was acquired by the National Trust in 1946 and became a Heritage Centre telling the history of the priory and the village.


Cumbria Cartmel


Victorian (1837 - 1901)


cross market food monastery gatehouse dissolution advertisement prison crime punishment