The Square Tower, Portsmouth, Portsmouth

The Square Tower, Portsmouth, Portsmouth
Photograph taken 25 May 2001 © Mr Paul Shutt. Source Historic England Archive ref: 474317

The Square Tower was originally a fortification and Governor's residence. It was built in c1494. It was extensively altered to form a (gun) powder magazine c1580. In c1780 it was used as the Admiralty Victualling store. It was then reused as part of the fortifications in mid 19th century.

Location

Portsmouth Portsmouth

Period

Tudor (1485 - 1602)

Tags

military tower attack defence museum Tudor (1485 - 1602)