The Stocks, Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire

The Stocks, Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire
Photograph taken 1885 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: CC73/00585

The village stocks with four ankle holes for the punishment of petty crime and misdemeanor in the village. Although probably used from the Anglo-Saxon period, a statute of 1351 made it law for every township to provide and maintain a set of stocks.