The Wallaw Cinema, Blyth, Northumberland

The Wallaw Cinema, Blyth, Northumberland
Photograph taken 13 May 2001 © Mr Erik Borg. Source Historic England Archive ref: 469033

This cinema and theatre was built in 1937. It is a rare example of a streamlined Moderne style of cinema from the 1930s. It was built by Percy Lindsay Browne, Son and Harding of Newcastle upon Tyne. This firm was established in 1911. As a firm it designed many cinemas in the north east. This is believed to be on of the best surviving examples as it is little changed outside or inside.

Location

Northumberland Blyth

Period

1930s (1930 - 1938)

Tags

cinema theatre leisure modern architecture 1930s (1930 - 1938)