The Water Gate, Portchester Castle, Portchester, Hampshire
The Water Gate (or Sea Gate) was originally part of the Roman defences of Portchester Castle. What remains today dates from the Saxon period and the 1300s. The lower storey is Late Saxon and made from Greensand and Sandstone (stained by iron ore) blocks. Then in the later 1300s two more storeys were added on top of this. A slot for the portcullis can still be seen above this later arch. Portchester Castle was originally built as a shore fort in the late Roman period. This fort was called "Portus Adurni". It was reused in the Saxon period as a settlement. In the late 11th century a Norman tower keep castle was built within the shore fort walls by a William Mauduit. In 1130 the castle was acquired by a William Pont de l'Arche. After major works in 1320-26, the buildings on the west of the inner bailey became a self-contained palace. This palace was rebuilt by Richard II in 1396-99. By 1441 the castle was considered ruinous. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2012). Find out more.