Thornton Abbey, Thornton Curtis, North Lincolnshire

Thornton Abbey, Thornton Curtis, North Lincolnshire
Photograph taken 03 August 2000 © Mr Ian Wright. Source Historic England Archive ref: 165879

A priory for Augustinian canons was established here in 1139 and it became an abbey in 1148. It was largely rebuilt during the 13th and 14th centuries. It was dissolved in December 1539. The abbot had been involved in the Pilgrimage of Grace - it is not clear what happened to him. The abbey was finally closed in 1547. The gatehouse remains but other buildings were demolished when a hall and farmhouse were built. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). More Info

Location

North Lincolnshire Thornton Curtis

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

abbey monastery dissolution church ruin religion faith english heritage medieval (1066 - 1484)