Thurland Castle, Tunstall, Cantsfield, Lancashire
A portrait of Colonel Edward Brown Lees, owner of Thurland Castle, with his wife Dorothy and their three daughters, posed in front of an arched doorway on the south-east terrace of the castle. This photograph was taken for Colonel Lees, here pictured, who owned the castle. He also commissioned architects Edward Graham Paley and Hubert James Austin, of the firm Paley & Austin Architects, to carry out the 1888 and 1894 restorations to the house, and the interior furnishings were designed or executed by Gillows Furnishers. Thurland Castle was originally a 14th century castle, made ruinous following a Civil War siege in 1643. The remains were incorporated into the large present house, built mostly in the 1880s, after the remains were again destroyed by fire in 1879.