Toll House, Casterton, Cumbria

Toll House, Casterton, Cumbria
Photograph taken 10 April 2007 © Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive ref: 75609

This former toll house dates from the mid to late 18th century. It was built in connection with the turnpike road from Kendal to Kirkby Lonsdale and there are several toll houses in a similar style along the road. Turnpike roads had gates to make travellers stop and pay a toll to the toll keeper. The houses generally had a bay window or doorway right on the road to make sure travellers could not avoid payment. The money from the tolls was used to pay for the upkeep of the road.

Location

Cumbria Casterton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

transport road travel toll house Georgian (1714 - 1836)