Tynemouth Priory, Tyne and Wear

Tynemouth Priory, Tyne and Wear
Photograph taken January 2008 © Copyright Historic England Archive ref: dp047012

View from the west showing the priory, with the Coastguard Station in the background. The first monastery was built on this site during the seventh century, but the physical remains date from the eleventh century and subsequent alterations. After the Dissolution during Henry VIII's reign, the site was modified to serve as an artillary castle. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).

Location

Tyne and Wear Tynemouth

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

monastery priory dissolution ruin seaside castle coast guard medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage