Uley Long Barrow (Hetty Pegler's Tump), Uley, Gloucestershire
Uley Long Barrow, also known as Hetty Pegler's Tump, is a Neolithic chambered long barrow. The barrow gained the name 'Hetty Pegler's Tump' after the 17th century owner of the field. It is built on level ground on top of Crawley Hill overlooking the Severn Valley. It measures about 37 metres in length, 34 metres at its widest point and a maximum height of 3 metres. The entrance to the mound is defined by two standing stones capped by a stone lintel. Beyond the entrance is a stone passage 10 metres long and a metre wide leading to two pairs of side chambers and an end chamber. In 1821, an excavation was carried out by Dr Fry and T. J. Lloyd-Baker. This uncovered two human skeletons and the jaw bones of wild boar within the soil blocking the entrance. Within the interior of the tomb 13 human skeletons were revealed; six in the entrance passage (including two in a crouched position), four in the eastern side chamber (including one female skeleton and finds of animal teeth and Neolithic pottery), one in the western chamber and two in the north eastern chamber. In 1854, an excavation by Dr J. Thurnham and Professor E. A. Freeman revealed more human remains including nine human skulls as well as animal teeth and boars tusks. Long barrows acted as burial chambers during the Early and Middle Neolithic periods (3400-2400 BC). Barrows of this type have been radiocarbon dated to 3300-3200BC. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.