Watton Priory, Watton, East Yorkshire

Watton Priory,  Watton, East Yorkshire
Photograph taken 1896 - 1920 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: AA97/08061

A historical ground plan of Watton Priory. The abbey was founded in 1150 as a double house for nuns and resident canons. It was probably the largest Gilbertine priory. Only the prior's house survived after the dissolution and became part of a larger house.

Location

East Riding of Yorkshire Watton

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

victorian priory dissolution monastery drawing plan gilbertine medieval (1066 - 1484)