Well House (Conduit House), North Hinksey, Oxfordshire

Well House (Conduit House), North Hinksey, Oxfordshire
Photograph taken 27 May 2002 © Dr David J Mazey LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 249742

This Well House was built in c1610. It was built for Otho Nicholson. The springs on the hillside here had supplied Oseney Abbey and the Friars Preachers of Oxford. This Well House was part of Otho Nicholson's scheme to bring this spring water direct to "Carfax Conduit" in the centre of Oxford. Nicholson was a wealthy graduate of Christ Church college in Oxford and a London Lawyer. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).

Location

Oxfordshire North Hinksey

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

well water welfare stuart (1603 - 1713) english heritage