West Pier, Brighton, Brighton and Hove

West Pier, Brighton, Brighton and Hove
Photograph taken 07 July 2007 © Mr Glyn Edmunds. EFIAP, AMPA, ARPS Source Historic England Archive ref: 482018

The West Pier was built in the mid 1860s by Eusebius Birch. It was one of the most spectacular piers in England. It was closed in 1975, badly damaged by the hurricane of October 1987 and partially demolished in 1991. It was left in ruins after 2 arson attacks in 2003.

Location

Brighton and Hove Brighton

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

pier seaside promenade holiday tourist fire conservation victorian (1837 - 1901)