Westgate, Canterbury, Kent

Westgate, Canterbury, Kent
Photograph taken 1890 - 1910 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: OP00523

The Westgate was originally one of seven gates to the city of Canterbury. It was commissioned by Archbishop Sudbury and constructed in circa 1377 of Kentish ragstone. The church to the right is the Church of the Holy Cross, which was built in 1381.

Location

Kent Canterbury

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

gate town defence church religion faith Medieval (1066 - 1484)