White Ladies Priory, Boscabel, Shropshire
The Priory of St Leonard is generally known as White Ladies Priory. It was a small convent of Augustinian nuns until it was dissolved in 1536. In 1538, during the suppression of the monasteries, most of the buildings were taken down. Parts of the church remained and a timber-framed house was built onto the east end by the Skevington family. This was demolished in the 18th century. The future Charles II was given shelter at White Ladies during his flight from Parliamentary troops after the Battle of Worcester in September 1651. The priory and nearby Boscobel House were owned by the Giffords at that time. They were a Roman Catholic family. The gatehouse was still in use as a labourer's cottage in 1809. In 1938 the site was placed in the care of the Secretary of State. The site is now (2011) in the care of English Heritage.