Whorlton Castle, Whorlton, North Yorkshire
This gatehouse is all that remains of a motte and bailey castle. The castle was built in the early 1100s. It was called the castle of Potto in 1216. The castle was described as ruinous in 1343. The motte has been much lowered, probably in the reign of Richard II (1377-99). This was when a tower house and this gatehouse were built. The date of its dismantling is not known.