Wigmore Castle, Wigmore, Herefordshire
This castle was built in 1067-71 by William Fitzosborn, Earl of Hereford. It was held by Ralph de Mortimer at the time of the Domesday Book (1086). In 1223 Hugh de Mortimer was granted 20 marks by Henry III towards strengthening the castle when Llywelyn ap Iorworth was threatening the border. It was rebuilt during the early 14th century, probably by Roger Mortimer. It was repaired during the mid to late 16th century by Sir Henry Sydney and used as a prison. The Harley family bought it in 1601. In 1643 Robert Harley's wife Lady Brilliana ordered Parliamentarian troops to dismantle the walls of the castle to prevent it from being used by opposition forces. An engraving by Buck of 1732 shows little more of the building than presently survives. It was one of the largest castles built along the Welsh border. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.