Windmill Tump Long Barrow, Rodmarton, Gloucestershire
Windmill Tump, also known as Rodmarton long barrow, is an early Neolithic chambered long barrow. It has a ‘false’ entrance made up of two standing stones and a stone lintel. They look like an entrance but do not lead to an inside passage. It was partially excavated in 1863 and 1939, and again in 1987. The excavations by S Lysons (1863) and E M Clifford (1939) discovered two internal chambers. Within these the found 13 complete skeletons and fragments of several other skeletons. They also found two Neolithic leaf-shaped flint arrowheads. There was also evidence of site being reused in Roman times as they found pottery and coins from the reign of Claudius Gothicus (AD 268-270). This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.