Historic Environment Advice Assistant (HEAA)
Historic England has been engaged with the Historic Environment Advice Assistant Level 4 apprenticeship as a supporting training provider and employer. This page outlines some key information about the HEAA standard and Historic England's involvement with the aim of providing information and support to prospective apprentices, employers and training providers.
For the latest heritage apprenticeships updates, including highlights from recent cohorts of HEAA apprentices, visit our news page.
The HEAA standard
The HEAA standard is broad and covers a wide range of knowledge, skills and behaviours (KSBs), including:
- Heritage fundamentals, including archaeological, landscape or architectural chronology and practice
- How to research the historic environment and handle heritage data
- Heritage legislation and policies
- How to assess the condition of and identify risks to the historic environment
- Determining the impact of proposals for change in the historic environment
- The value of heritage and how to promote it
- Professional behaviours and skills, including managing projects
- Health & Safety
It gives a wide and diverse introduction to heritage matters, making it a great entry route into varied heritage professions.
On- and off-the-job training
As with all apprenticeships, Historic Environment Advice Assistant apprentices spend 80% of their time in the workplace doing on-the-job training and work. The remaining 20% of their time is spent undertaking off-the-job training delivered by a registered provider.
Previous and current HEAA apprentices have come from varied employers across the country and have been in a wide range of roles.
All cohorts of HEAAs to date have been through the programme delivered by Strode College, with Historic England providing supporting training provision.
The delivery model has evolved considerably since the programme launched in 2019. Initially following a block release model, the training is now delivered primarily through online contact days with apprentices completing further learning activities and assignments in the workplace, including e-learning designed and developed by Historic England.
You can find out more information on this apprenticeship training programme from Strode College.
The apprentice experience
The apprentices who have been through the HEAA programme come from various backgrounds, employers and roles. Here, we share some of their stories and experiences.