This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Subject Access Requests

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives any individual (or 'data subject') the right to request access to information held about them by Historic England, subject to exemptions. This is a Subject Access Request.

If, for whatever reason, the data subject is unable to submit the request themselves someone else can place a request on their behalf.

How do I make a Subject Access Request?

In order to make a Subject Access Request you have to complete our Subject Access Request form. You will also need to supply a form of identification. 

This may be a: 

  • current driver's licence
  • current passport
  • birth certificate

We require proof of identity before we can process your request. This is to protect the identity of the data subject and ensure that the Data Protection Act 1998 is not breached.

If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, please include proof of identity for yourself and the data subject.  We also need a letter from the data subject authorising the request on their behalf.

The completed form along with proof of identity should be sent to:

Access to Information Manager
Historic England
The Engine House
Fire Fly Avenue
Swindon SN2 2EH

When can I expect to receive a response?

The Act states that responses to Subject Access requests should be sent out no later than 40 calendar days after receipt of the request. If we have to write to you requesting further information the 'clock' stops until all the necessary documentation has been provided.

Was this page helpful?


Information Security & Data Protection Manager

The Engine House,
Fire Fly Avenue ,

View on map

    Related documents