Guidance Open for Consultation
Your chance to have a say on advice and guidance documents we've published in draft. Your feedback will help us make our advice and guidance useful.
Revised advice and guidance
Settings and Views of Heritage Assets:
Historic Environment Good Practice Advice in Planning Note 3
Historic England is proposing to update The Setting of Heritage Assets in the light of recent planning cases and to provide further advice on views. The heritage interest in views is a matter of the contribution of views to the significance of heritage assets, which aligns views in these terms closely with setting. The published document already makes this point implicitly within its discussion of views and setting and the revised version reinforces this point. At the same time, we have underlined the importance of consideration of views under Guidelines for Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment (Landscape Institute and Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment, 2013), while highlighting the distinction between analysis of setting and landscape analysis.
The consultation draft is available to download below. The main changes include:
- citation of the sections on setting from the NPPF and the PPG
- more discussion of the assessment of views and their contribution to the significance of heritage assets in both Parts 1 and 2, which is now re-named Setting and Views: A Staged Approach to Proportionate Decision-Taking (pages 12 and 14)
- reinforced references to Guidelines for Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment (Landscape Institute and the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment, 2013) (pages 8-9)
- a little more on landscape in the light of recent planning cases (page 4)
- the title of this Good Practice Advice note has been changed from 'The Setting of Heritage Assets' to 'Settings and Views of Heritage Assets', to distinguish between the new and the previous advice note
We would like your views on whether the revised note gives adequate advice on the relationship between setting and views, as contributors to significance.
This consultation closes on Tuesday 28 February 2017.
Ways to respond
Please send any comments to governmentadvice@HistoricEngland.org.uk
If you have any questions about this consultation, please send them to governmentadvice@HistoricEngland.org.uk
Also of interest...
Find out what advice and guidance we have published in the last six months.