The tomb of the Tradescant family, featuring carvings of Classical ruins, in the churchyard of St Mary's Church

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
St Mary Lambeth, Churchyard, Tradescant Sarcophagus, Lambeth, Greater London Authority
Show all locations
St Mary At Lambeth, Tomb Of John Tradescant, Lambeth Road, St Marys Churchyard, Lambeth, Greater London Authority
St Mary Lambeth, Tradescant Sarcophagus In Churchyard, Lambeth, Greater London Authority
Reference:
AA49/08674
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The tomb dates from 1662. It was repaired in 1773 and restored in 1853. The Tradescants were gardeners, and worked for the English aristocracy and royal family. They established a physic garden in South Lambeth, and travelled worldwide collecting rare and exotic plants. The family collections were donated to the Ashmolean Museum in the 17th century. The Tradescant tomb is decorated with carvings: trees are placed at the four corners of the tomb, and the sides depict classical Ruins and Egyptian ruins amongst scenery. These may refer to places visited by the Tradescants. On one end of the tomb is the Tradescant coat of arms, whilst the other end features a carving of a skull beneath a hydra.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Post Medieval Tomb, Religion