A misericord in St Mary the Virgin's Church depicting three seated figures, perhaps the three Maries at the Sepulchre, supported on either side by a crown and foliage

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
St Mary The Virgin's Church, Gayton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire
Reference:
AA49/08679
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

St Mary the Virgin's Church was built in the 14th and 15th centuries, and was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries. The misericords in the chancel are believed to be from the 14th and 15th centuries, possibly originally from St James Abbey near Northampton or Dunston Abbey, but several - including this misericord - may be later. This misericord, on the south side of the chancel, shows three seated female figures in long robes, supported on either side by a crown and foliage. It is suggested that this depicts the three Maries at the Sepulchre before an arched building. Over the central figure is a damaged object, possibly an angel.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, 20th Century Parish Church, Religion