A misericord in Holy Trinity Church depicting a shield bearing the arms of Sir William Walworth, supported on the left by a shield bearing the arms of Walworth and the arms of Lovekin side by side, and on the right by a shield bearing the arms of Walworth with a scalloped border

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
Holy Trinity Church, Priory Row, Coventry
Reference:
AA49/09878
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The 15th century misericords in Holy Trinity Church were originally located in the Whitefriars monastery church. The bench stalls which they were attached to remain in the old chapel of St John's Hospital, known as the Old Grammar School. In 1870 the stalls in Holy Trinity Church were restored and 20 of the misericords relocated from the Old Grammar School to the choir of the church. Others were relocated to the Henry VIII Grammar School. Both John Lovekin and Sir William Walworth were Lord Mayors of London in the second half of the 14th century.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Chapel, Medieval Church, Post Medieval Church, Heraldry, Religion