A misericord in Holy Trinity Church depicting two cockatrices positioned back to back, the tails of which are knotted in the centre, supported on either side by the head of a woman wearing a crespine headdress and a turned-down scalloped collar

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
Holy Trinity Church, Priory Row, Coventry
Reference:
AA49/09883
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The 15th century misericords in Holy Trinity Church were originally located in the Whitefriars monastery church. The bench stalls which they were attached to remain in the old chapel of St John's Hospital, known as the Old Grammar School. In 1870 the stalls in Holy Trinity Church were restored and 20 of the misericords relocated from the Old Grammar School to the choir of the church. Others were relocated to the Henry VIII Grammar School. The cockatrice is a mythical beast; the cockatrices in this misericord have the feet of a bird, the body of a lion and head of a cockerel. It is noted that the crespine is a headdress worn between around 1380 and 1450.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Chapel, Medieval Church, Post Medieval Church, Religion