A side view of the recumbent effigy of Sir Alexander Giffard, with a large shield decorated with the arms of Giffard, in St Mary's Church

Date:
1930-1954
Location:
St Mary's Church, Boyton, Wiltshire
Show all locations
St Mary The Virgins Church, Boyton, Wiltshire
Reference:
AA54/04468
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Sir Alexander Giffard died in 1250, though his effigy is thought to date from the late 13th century. The effigy is located in the arcade of the Giffard Chapel. Sir Alexander is shown in armour with a sword; his shield bears the arms, the three lions, and a five-pointed label of the Giffard family. The feet of the effigy rest on has been described as a lion, but is more likely an otter.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Effigy, Religion