Detail view of the 12th century, carved stone font in St George's church

Date:
1933
Location:
St George's Church, Orleton, County of Herefordshire
Reference:
CN00507
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The font is of the Hereford School of romanesque sculpture. It is in the form of a cylindrical, stone bowl with a nine bay, carved arcade on the exterior. In each bay, under an arch, there is a carved figure, probably of an apostle (although on St Peter is identifiable). A print of this image is in the RCHME Inventory Notes for Orleton. This image is printed in the RCHME Inventory volume Herefordshire III-North West.

Content

This is part of the Sub Series: RCH01/166/03 Glass plate and large format negatives; within the Series: RCH01/166 RCHME Inventory: Herefordshire III - North-West; within the Collection: RCH01 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Archive

Rights

© Crown Copyright. Historic England Archive

Keywords

Font, Medieval Church