HMS DRYAD (SOUTHWICK HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096247
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
HMS DRYAD (SOUTHWICK HOUSE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of HMS DRYAD (SOUTHWICK HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 11:58:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
HMS DRYAD (SOUTHWICK HOUSE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Southwick and Widley
National Grid Reference:
SU 63308 08742

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/11/2016

SU 60 NW 13/9 SOUTHWICK AND WIDLEY HMS Dryad (Southwick House)

II Country mansion. Replacement in similar style in 1843 of a house built 1800 but destroyed by fire in 1840. By S Howell. Walls of stucco, roof hidden by parapet. Symmetrical south front elevation with slight projections at each side and central bow, of three storeys, 2.1.3.1.2 windows. Rusticated ground-floor, rusticated quoins, architraves to the windows, with pediments (segmental and triangular) to the first floor, eaves cornice on console brackets. Sashes in reveals. The ground-floor has a continuous verandah, supported on Ionic columns. The east elevation, of similar form, is symmetrical, of three storeys, 1.3.1 windows, with a porte-cochere of four Ionic columns. To the west side there extends a two-storeyed service wing, of 1.5.1. windows. Headquarters of General Eisenhower and the scene of the planning of the D-day invasion 1943-44. It is understood that a large map specifically commissioned for this purpose remains in situ, covering a wall in one of the ground floor rooms.



Listing NGR: SU6332408824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146566
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05054/03
Rights: Copyright IoE David R. Grounds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].