Nappa Hall, Askrigg, North Yorkshire: An Investigation and Assessment of the Late Medieval Hall in its Immediate Setting
Author(s): Adam Menuge, Dave Went
Nappa Hall, located within the Yorkshire Dales National Park, is a late 15th-century manor house of fortified appearance. It has been on the Heritage at Risk Register for a considerable period, parts of the main building and the adjoining Grade II* coach-house being in very poor condition. This report presents a preliminary assessment of the fabric, setting and significance of Nappa Hall and is intended to inform proposals for the refurbishment of the buildings and their return to beneficial use. The medieval building comprises a four-storey high-end tower, a single-storey hall range, a three-storey low-end tower, a service range and a single-storey porch. Structural evidence and dendrochronological analysis has confirmed the likelihood of some building activity in the service range in the period 1461-5, but the bulk of the medieval fabric is securely dated to 1472-6. The low tower, service range and to a lesser extent the hall each exhibit detailed evidence for significant domestic adaptation in the 18th century, prior to the hall’s conversion to a shooting box. The hall commands extensive views across, up and down Wensleydale, overlooking the remains of formal gardens, terraces, fishponds and other manorial features contemporary with its construction and early history.
- Report Number:
- Research Department Reports
- Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces Medieval Post Medieval Fortification