RAF Coltishall, Norfolk: A Photographic Characterisation
Author(s): Wayne D Cocroft, Steve Cole
RAF Coltishall, Norfolk (TG 270 225) in the parish of Scottow lies 15 km (9 miles) to the northeast of Norwich and 1.6 km (1 mile) to the northwest of the village of Coltishall. Construction work on the new permanent airfield began in February 1939 when it was originally designed as a standard bomber station with five C-type hangars. In May 1940, it was redesignated as a fighter station and a month later became operational as part of No.12 Group. Post-war the airfield was extensively remodelled to accept jet fighters, and from the mid-1970s until closure in November 2006 it was associated with the Jaguar Force. This photographic characterisation of RAF Coltishall was created during its last month as an operational station and during the subsequent drawdown until November 2006. The report includes a short account of the history and development of RAF Coltishall and a selection of ground and air photography.
- Report Number:
- Research Department Reports
- Modern Building Investigation